Like all batteries in the lead-acid family, the Deka® UltraBattery® is fully sustainable. In fact, with 98 percent of lead-acid batteries returned for reprocessing, and 96 percent of each battery used to make new batteries, lead-acid batteries are not only the most sustainable battery type by far, they’re actually the most sustainable product of any type ever mass manufactured.
Lead-acid batteries are the world’s most successfully recycled product because the major component is infinitely recyclable. The lead used to create a battery today will very likely still be in use in a battery hundreds of years from now.
This highly efficient recycling process is driven by the high value of spent batteries. It is economically viable to collect lead-acid batteries and sell them into the recycling chain.
Lead-acid batteries are clean and safe
Compare this with most non-lead-acid battery technologies in use today.
- Very low numbers of non-lead-acid cells are returned for recycling.
- Much of the material from non-lead-acid batteries that is returned gets incinerated, sent to landfill or processed into low-grade industrial material such as road-bases and additives for steel-smelting or concrete production.*
Sustainability Without Peer
To us, sustainability means that the material inside a battery should, at end of life, be made into a new battery.
Essentially, 100 percent of each Deka UltraBattery is returned for recycling. And, once returned, 96 percent by mass of the battery is reused to make a new battery. The other 4 percent is used for agricultural and industrial purposes. Next to nothing is wasted. Next to nothing reaches the environment.
We can proudly say that our technology closes the loop.
Since day one, East Penn has made safe recycling an everyday practice. East Penn opened its doors as a battery rebuilding company almost three quarters of a century ago. Today, the company has never stopped building on its expertise, infrastructure, capabilities, and commitment. This continuous commitment has made us the most progressive manufacturer in environmental protection and technologically advanced battery recycler throughout the entire industry.
* see for instance
- Winslow et al, “A review on the growing concern and potential management strategies of waste lithium-ion batteries”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Volume 129, February 2018, Pages 263-277
- Gaines, Linda, "The future of automotive lithium-ion battery recycling: Charting a sustainable course", Sustainable Materials and Technologies, Vol 1, Elsevier, 2014, Pages 2-7